Friday, April 22, 2016

Blog Entry #8: Creating Your CITEd Toolkit

Creating a Technology Toolkit

Having compiled a variety of different learning resources using CITEd.org to create my own Technology Professional Development Toolkit, I have found this to be very similar to a traditional social bookmarking site.  In my toolkit, I included resources that were of personal interest to me that I wanted to share with other education professionals as well.  I included a mix of digital resources teachers could use in the classroom, such as accessible books and the acrostic poem builder.  Additionally, I included some informational articles about using assistive technology and how to manage technology in your own classroom.  If I had chosen to send my toolkit to an administrator rather than to colleagues, I would have included more detailed descriptions of how I would use the different resources and why I chose to include them in my toolkit.  If I were to share my toolkit with a teacher who was reluctant to integrate technology into the classroom, I would include more articles about the importance of using technology in your classroom and the learning benefits.  I would also emphasize user-friendly websites and resources as well as include digital resources that make differentiation or data tracking much easier.


A social bookmarking site that I currently use is Symbaloo.edu.  You can see my list of educational bookmarks here: https://edu.symbaloo.com/mix/mscorlis. On this site, I have compiled a list of resources for both educators and students to use in the classroom.  I have included a mix of both resources for students and professional development resources for myself in this list however you could use this type of resource for a wide range of applications.


Creating an educational technology toolkit also reminded me of my Educational Technology Pinterest board.  I have compiled a list of resources for integrating technology into the classroom via Pinterest as well.  You can view my board here: https://www.pinterest.com/mcorlis/technology/.  Pinterest is a wonderful resource where you can share resources with a variety of other education professionals as well as sharing resources with people from all walks of life!  I have found it to be very helpful in guiding my searches for specific resources as Pinterest has an excellent algorithm built into its search feature.



Earlier today, I was introduced to another great resource called Scrible which can be accessed at scrible.com. This is a toolbar extension to Google Chrome which is intended to be used as a research platform but can also be used to share articles and other resources with students.  A great feature of this resource is that you can annotate (including highlighting and post-its) text to share with your students or you can share a blank copy with each of your students and allow each of them to annotate their own copy.  The teacher can then view the students’ annotations and highlights.  You could also use this resource to share materials with colleagues but I thought it was an excellent way of sharing digital resources with your students that could also help them to add notes and keep track of their own learning.


Overall, although CITEd is not my favorite platform for sharing resources with others, I love the idea of spreading knowledge about educational technology as I believe it can help all teachers to guide their students to become better 21st century digital citizens and more effective digital learners!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing Scrible with us! That is very cool. I also have a similar Pinterest page. It's a great place in general for teaching resources. Great job with your toolkit! There are some resources that I hadn't seen so I'm glad you shared them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I allows looked into assistant technology. Since we are thinking of integrating technology we also have to think about how integrate and support learners when using this technologies. The use of scrible looks to be very useful. Being able to annotate and easily share texts with others. You may want to look into how to annotate and share non text media .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megan,

    I have used several bookmarking sites in the past, and I can definitely see the similarities you mention between traditional bookmarking and CITEd. I was excited to see that CITEd had professional development artifacts that relate to education, rather than having to search the web for our own. With that being said, Scrible sounds like another amazing resource! Thank you for sharing that, and I look forward to exploring these different sites in the future!

    ReplyDelete