Friday, February 5, 2016

Blog Entry #3: Rules of Design

Mini Art School #1

The piece of multimedia that I have chosen to critique is BuzzFeed's homepage.  I selected BuzzFeed because I enjoy reading BuzzFeed articles but usually link to them from another source and do not typically search from the homepage.  


BuzzFeed Homepage
Audience
The intended audience of this website is directed at young adults.  I think that the general size of text used is appropriate for this audience and is also organized beginning in the upper right hand corner, as is expected in Western cultures.  

Balance
Symmetrical balance: The layout of the homepage is primarily balanced visually from left to right.  However, I think that this may have been taken to an extreme in this case as there is a ton of visual information on the page.

Asymmetrical balance: There are many like objects given equal weight on the page, however there are also some that have been prioritized.  My eye is immediately drawn to the large visual of the twitter logo and then the Nicholas Sparks article as these are the two largest visuals on the page so they are given the most space and are also in the center of the screen, a focal point.  


Emphasis
Red is a dominant color and is used to emphasize the name of the company, a “best” listing, “trending” articles, types of articles, a secondary heading, and within many photographs/visual images.  This is distracting and leads the viewer to be confused about which of these is being emphasized as the most important information to focus on since multiple spaces are highlighted as such.  The size of text and images is varied to give additional importance to particular articles which are being featured which is a positive.


Proximity
It is somewhat difficult to initially determine items that are related.  Some visuals incorporate a background image with type superimposed over the image including the title of the article and why it is being promoted.  These photos group the image, title and association however as a whole, the layout is not clearly grouped into sections and therefore appears cluttered.


Alignment
I believe that BuzzFeed placed certain articles intentionally as they do use headings and some items are given in lists.  However, the homepage does feature some text that is left aligned and some that is centered.  This does not necessarily bother me as the centered photographs are given a place of importance and it blocks out that section from the following which is later broken into columns, which are all left-aligned.


Typography
There are different typefaces used and different styles used within the page.  The title of the page, BuzzFeed features small caps and bolding while “News Buzz Life” is in all caps, and there are at least seven different sizes of font in this clip alone.  Additionally, in the yellow circles there are different sized fonts used to fill the entire circle.  I understand why this happened, as some words are longer than others, however I think it would appear more organized if the smaller size type was used consistently.


Repetition
Once the columns are delineated, the pattern is repeated for an indeterminate amount of space.  I continued scrolling down to try to reach the bottom but the columns continued to extend the further I scrolled.  This creates predictability so that the consumer can know what to expect in each space.
I find the gif from the Nicholas Sparks article irritating and this form of repetition detracts from the user’s experience.  It is the only gif used on this page which does draw attention but it is also set to loop and continues repeating the same 1 second clip ad nauseum.  


Contrast
There are clear dark and light spaces in the space of the screen on the top of the page however the colors used compete with each other which impedes the organization.  There are different typeface choices throughout including variation in size, color, bolding, and font.


Color
There are many very bright and vibrant colors used over and over on the top of the homepage.  This makes it difficult for the reader to identify which pieces of text are most important and is visually jarring instead of appearing more fluid.  Red is used repeatedly to draw attention to many different pieces of the page however it is also a very intense color so it disturbs the balance of the page.


White Space
White space is the area around and between text and graphics used to break up the space.  Although I love BuzzFeed, this is the main rule of design that is being broken on their homepage.  (Individual articles do not typically have this problem).  To begin with, the space is far too overcrowded and there is limited negative space around visuals and text.  The content is very cluttered and it is difficult to delineate how articles are related visually.



Revisiting Previous Designs
While revisiting some of my previous designs, I have updated a few photographs that I had taken in Perú to reflect some of the new elements that I have learned.  


  

I adjusted the saturation and level of contrast in a few images.



I also made sure that the images were visually balanced in terms of areas of open space.

 

I also utilized cropping in one of my images to focus on the most important part of the photograph and eliminate distracting elements of blur in the foreground.

  

Overall I tried to be cognizant of how the image was balanced, the color palette used and how that affected the viewer’s focus and the proximity of different elements.



 Harmony Workshop Exercise
In this design exercise from Design Basics Index, written by Jim Krause, I created three separate flyers for a summer music festival using Google Drawing.  I chose to create a flyer for a festival for children inspired by Ravinia’s Reach Teach Play initiative which is designed to ensure that music education is available and accessible to all, especially those in underserved populations.  I selected this type of festival considering that arts involvement is vital to children’s emotional and social development and can improve their creativity and flexible thinking.  I considered different approaches including a variety of target audiences for each flyer.


This first flyer is more whimsical and colorful and geared toward the children themselves.  I included the basic information in large text and added a Fun Fact at the bottom of the flyer.  The images I selected are colorful and represent several different instruments that young children may be familiar with seeing and might want to learn to play.  The color scheme I chose was relatively muted and included rich golden and brown tones.


The second flyer features a good deal of contrast.  I still included the title of the even and basic information but I swapped out the Fun Fact in favor of including types of music available.  This flyer is geared more toward children who are seeking extracurriculars and parents who want their children to be involved with the study of music from a more serious perspective.  I decided to use only black and white graphics (featuring shadows of the instruments) as it contributed to the classic tone of the overall flyer.



The third flyer is somewhat a blend of the previous two: it includes some whimsy/creativity and features a couple of classic instruments.  It blends the golden/brown color scheme with the classic black and white for a blend of contrast with a pop of color.  I also included a fair amount of white space around my graphics and used the lines created by the top of the piano which aligns nicely with the angle of the text.  The top graphic also features a line which points directly toward the top of the basic information.  


I enjoyed learning about different elements of design while using a new digital tool (Google Drawings) to create different layouts of the same basic information in new designs.  It was fairly easy to use, especially when I wanted to freely move the different elements around on the screen as it superimposes a visual guide to line up objects both vertically and horizontally. I look forward to using these elements of design to create materials for my future classroom!

8 comments:

  1. Megan,

    I think you did a very nice job with the four photos that you edited. The revised photos are a lot crisper and the colors are more vibrant. In the first set of photos you can see the edges are more pronounced in the snow-capped mountains in the background. In the third set of photos I think the cropping that you did did get rid of some unnecessary foreground. The coloring was also improved. In the fourth set of photos it seemed that the fog was impacting the clearness of your photo. When you revised it we can still see some of the fog but it isn't overshadowing some of the mountains in the foreground. Great job editing these photos! I liked the third flyer that your created the best. The image near the top of the flyer was creative and made the flyer look less linear. You used an appropriate amount of white space as to not make the flyer look to cluttered. I have not heard or tried Google Drawings but I will have to take a look at it. I used Pixlr and there was a little bit of a learning curve but I was able to get a little more creative with it after working through my designs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anthony! I spent a while using different editing tools to improve my photos! I really liked the curved edge of the piano keys and I thought it added a unique flow so I tried to play off of that by mirroring a similar line with the top of the harp down below so I'm glad you noticed that!
      Google Drawings was pretty easy to use! There was a slight learning curve but it is quite user-friendly and once you figure out how each tool works, they are pretty easy to work with!

      Delete
  2. Hi Megan,

    What a wonderful blog post, and I really liked the photos you posted. In all the different sets of photos, it is very obvious all the work you did to improve the colors, focus, and spacing. It is simply amazing how color manipulations can make such a difference.

    As for the advertisement flyers/posters you created, I really liked the first poster. I really liked the colors, shapes and fonts that you used, it was very clear that the poster was created/geared for children. I thought the “fun fact” was a nice addition. I also thought that you left enough white space to prevent the flyer from looking too messy and crowded. It was clean, simple and delivered the message clearly.

    Amber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amber! I'm glad you liked the photos! I was trying to be very aware of my spacing in the flyers to make sure that I was presenting the information clearly and concisely. I tried to eliminate distractions by using the white space to keep the focus on the most important parts of the flyer while still attracting attention so I'm glad that came across well!

      Delete
  3. Hi Megan,
    I like how you deconstructed the BuzzFeed web page. You covered each design basic clearly and concisely. I agree that the home page looks cluttered and disjointed. They do have a challenge, since they link to many different web pages. I understand they want to get a lot on the page, but they don't help matters with a cluttered up design. Why do they need BuzzFeed Home page at the bottom? By the time we get there, we know where we are and there are three other occurrences of BuzzFeed.

    I love your pictures of Peru and the subtle changes you made to sharpen and focus the image. It makes me want to visit some mountain location. Cropping is really a great and easy method to improve a composition. In general reducing an empty foreground and clipping distracting elements from the edges will improve any photograph.

    I liked all three of your flyer designs. My favorite was the middle one. I like that the main title is to the left and how the music notes lead the eye left and down. Keeping it black and white helps focus the eye on the copy. The instruments, title, and musical notes frame the text nicely without being too distracting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Richard! I'm glad that you liked my pictures from Peru! I enjoyed revisiting some of them because I haven't looked through them in a while! I'm glad you noticed how the second flyer was framed! I was trying to create a frame with a more open format to draw attention to the important information in an eye-catching way that wasn't too distracting. :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Megan,

    You did a SUPERB job of articulating all the rules of design that Buzzfeed's site managed to follow and/or break - excellent job! I'm in complete agreement with you on each of your points, and I wanted to mention that I, too, typically find articles for Buzzfeed (via Facebook or Pinterest) and click to read the content as opposed to formally "visiting" Buzzfeed looking for content. I have a feeling that's how they generate most of their traffic, but someone needs to tell them that there's no reason for the insanity of their site just because people are probably reading the mobile version of their articles!

    I was so glad to see that you used your OWN images from Peru (on the travel bucket list) to improve for this particular exercise. You did a terrific job of both: explaining what specific characteristics you altered in each, AND improving upon the pics in the process! I agree with Rich that cropping is definitely an easy and effective way to improve the composition of a photograph, and you nailed it each time with these.

    I was curious to hear which poster you created for the third exercise was your favorite. I personally love the third one (probably because of my fondness of the piano spiral photograph at the top to be honest) but the second poster is definitely a close...second ;) What made you select the font you chose for each poster -- based on Google Drawing's availability?

    Finally, I've never used Google Drawing - but now you've piqued my interest - I'm definitely going to check it out! Thanks for the tip on a new digital tool!

    Well done!
    Prof L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! I'm glad that you liked my critique of Buzzfeed's home page! I had not visited it prior to this assignment but I think I will continue reading articles that are linked from outside sources because they are very difficult to search for otherwise.

      I would highly recommend a trip to Peru! There has also been some speculation that access to Machu Picchu might be restricted soon (due to restoration because of the high foot traffic wearing down certain areas).

      The third poster is probably my favorite but I do like all three of them but for different purposes. I think the first one is more geared toward young children and the second is geared toward an audience interested in the classics. I thought that the third one had the best linear flow and use of white space to direct the viewer's eye with a pleasant color scheme.

      Google Drawings is a very user-friendly digital tool, I hope you find it useful too!

      Delete